The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has made the application of passport in Ghana a more confortable venture as the application process is now online.
The online process is now the only way to apply for a Ghana Passport. This article seeks to provide all the information you need to know on the passport application process.
Types of Ghanaian Passport Applications
There are two types of passport applications. They are Expedited Application and Standard Application.
The Standard Application takes a longer time to process and costs less. The Expedited Application on the other hand takes a shorter time to process and costs a little more.
Each of these Applications has a 32 booklet page or a 48 booklet page.
Here are the prices of each application type:
|Application Type||Booklet Pages||Price (GHS)|
What you need to apply for a Passport in Ghana
A) First Time Applicants
If you are applying for the first time, you will need the following :
- Birth Certificate(Proof of Ghanaian citizenship)
- Documents to support Identity such as Driver’s Licence, National ID card
- Proof of Profession (An introductory letter from the applicant’s employer that is if the applicant is currently employed or a work ID card that bears applicant’s name, organisation’s name and position. A student ID if the applicant is currently in school. Homemakers/housewives and applicants that are unemployed and those in the non-formal sector of employment like mechanics, hairdressers seamstresses, traders etc. do not need proof. Registered Business Owners and self-employed applicants must produce their business registration certificate as proof)
B) Biometric Passport Renewal
If you are renewing your passport, you will need the following :
- First page and bio-data page with picture and information page
- Valid Visa if applicant has any in Old Passport
- Last page
- Proof of Profession if changed
How to Apply for a Ghanaian Passport Online
- Create an account on the Application Portal. Visit the Ghana Passport Application Portal at https://passport.mfa.gov.gh. Create an account by clicking on sign up to create a new account. Confirm the account by entering the SMS you receive in the confirmation box.
- Start a new Ghana Passport Application. Login to the portal with your Username and Password. Click on Start New Application and make payment for the processing fee.
You can make the payment by choosing a bank, then choosing an application type (standard or expedited), and the payment channel to make payment. After successfully paying the processing fee, the form is issued into your account to continue with your passport application. This form can be found at “My Applications”
- Fill and complete the application form. Head to “My Applications” section of your portal, click on the application and fill in all the required details. When you have confirmed that all the information is accurate, sign the Declaration Form.
- Book an appointment date to visit the Passport Application Centre. You can select the Passport Application Centre (PAC) nearest to you or the one you most prefer. Once that is done, book a date you will like to go to the PAC for the verification of your documents and to take your biometric details (i.e. photograph and fingerprints). You can then print the final document and take to your guarantor to fill while you wait for your appointment date.
- Visit the Passport Application Centre. Once you have your signed forms, you can present yourself on the appointment date to the Passport Application Center you chose. Your documents will be verified and your biometric details will also be taken. After your appointment, the PAC will indicate to you when your passport will be ready for collection.
- Collect your Ghana Passport. You will receive an SMS once your Passport is ready for collection. When you receive this message, you will have to visit the Passport Application Centre you did your biometrics at to claim your completed Ghana passport.
Passport Application Centres in Ghana
Here is the list of the Passport Application Centres in Ghana to finish your biometric application process and where you can find them:
|Passport Application Centre||Location|
|Accra Premium PAC||Accra Digital Center, Adjacent State Housing Company, Ring Road West, Accra – See Directions|
|Kumasi Premium PAC||2nd Floor, Thankful Heights Building, Adum, Kumasi – See Directions|
|Accra PAC||Kinbu Road (Old Foreign Affairs) – See directions|
|Ridge PAC||Ridge, Accra|
|Koforidua PAC||PWD Office, SSNIT Office Area, Koforidua – See Directions|
|Tema PAC||Former IRS Office, Community 4, Tema – See Directions|
|Kumasi PAC||Guggisberg Road, Opposite PWD, Adum, Ministries|
|Takoradi PAC||Ghana Immigration Head Quarters (Within the Regional Administration)|
|Sunyani PAC||Adjacent to Jubilee (shares a wall with the Park)|
|Ho PAC||Regional Administration (Shares building with Immigration)|
|Tamale PAC||Police Park (Old Library)|