The National Identification Authority (NIA) and Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) have begun the merger of NIA and SSNIT numbers. The NIA number is the Personal ID number found on the Ghana Card. After linking, your NIA number will become your SSNIT number. To be honest that is a very exciting move as we move closer to a “one card for all” agenda. (Pun intended)
Reasons to merge your NIA and SSNIT numbers
The merger is a directive from the National Pensions Regulatory Authority (NPRA). The directive has the following benefits:
- You only have to carry your Ghana card for all transactions. This creates some convenience as you only need to use your Ghana card to transact business with SSNIT.
- Secondly, the cost of printing the SSNIT biometric card will be non-existent.
- Finally, it is a legal requirement. The National Identity Register Regulations, 2012, L.I. 2111, (Regulation 7) requires the use of the Ghana Card for “transactions pertaining to individuals in respect of pension” and “transactions that have social security implications”
Method 1: How to merge using short code
To begin with, you will need your SSNIT number and NIA number, which is the Personal ID number on the Ghana card. It is important to note that if the mobile phone number and email address you use presently is different from what you have in the SSNIT database, you must provide your email address and mobile phone number.
Do these simple steps to merge the numbers:
- Dial *711*9# on your mobile phone
- Select option 1
- Enter your SSNIT Number
- Enter your email address (if the phone number you are using is different from your phone number registered in our database)
- Enter the Personal ID Number on your Ghana Card
- Select option 1 to complete the merger.
- Wait for a message to confirm the merger.
Method 2: Merging using website
If you already have login credentials to your SSNIT Statement of Account, you can do the merger by following the steps below:
- Visit www.ssnit.org.gh
- Click My Statement
- Enter your SSNIT number and password and select sign in.
- Click Merge my NIA number and agree to the terms.
- Enter your NIA number and click Submit
- You will receive a notification after the merger is complete and a message will be sent to your email.
If for some reason you cannot use the short code or website to do the merger, visit the nearest SSNIT Branch with the following so you will be assisted:
- Ghana Card or NIA Number
- SSNIT Card or SSNIT number
- Valid email address
- Phone number